Background

Monday, June 25, 2012

Project Guppy's Room

This is the room right after I cleared it out and we set up the crib..if Travis looks tired it is because Gordon kept him up all night playing Axis and Allies. 
One of my favorite things is being able to have an excuse to redecorate.  I cleared out the guest room as soon as I could...which also put me on bed rest.  After I recovered though there was no stopping me.  I have defiantly hit a few bumps in the road.  We were given a crib by a doctor I work with and I spent all weekend sanding and repainting it.  It was really cute but when I went to put it back together and looked up the manual online and all I found was recalls for the crib due to infant death.  Very discouraging.  Thankfully a co-worker gave me her very gently used crib which matched our rocking chair perfectly!   I don't have a theme for my baby's room, but I wanted something that was modern and antique-ish all in one.  I don't really love all the baby stuff so instead I went with bold prints and  color.   I had many plans for the room which really means a lot of projects.  The first project was "The Wall." I am on a budget so I decided that instead of ordering a $40 stencil for the wall I would just make one.  I painted the wall gray and I traced my stencil made from cardboard over and over again on the wall. It took me a good 6-8 hours just to trace.  Then with a help of a friend Bree we started hand painting the wall.


It was LONG work.  This is how much we painted in about 4 hours! 
Travis enjoying my hard work!

 I spent the next few days devoted to painting between the lines for my baby's wall.  I was very pleased on how it turned out. Next time though I am going to spend the $40 and buy the stencil because it is worth it!
 My next project was the baby's changing table.  Again I couldn't do something simple so I searched and searched and found an antique dresser that I bought for $100 and refinished.


Before

After
I sanded the dresser down and started painting.  This was much easier than the wall and only took me about a day and a half.  The changing table pad cover doesn't match and so it will be removed along with the basket.  I am going to put a mirror above it which will really look great. 




I went on a girls weekend and bought the rug, stuffed dog who we have named Phylis.  My neighbor and I made Guppy's bedding which was a lot of fun.  I bought the side table and bookcase online.  I was a  little nervous buying furniture online but I think they turned out perfectly. 
I have a lot still planed for the baby's room but so far Travis and I are very happy with our hard work.  I love to go and sit in the rocking chair and rock back and forth day dreaming of what our new baby will be like.  I think the boys (Charlie, Henry and Watson) love the room the most.  If I leave the door open I always find them either under the bed or laying on the rug waiting for their new baby sister to arrive.  
Travis reading to Guppy.






1 comment: