Background

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Frist Day of Work


Last Friday was my first day of work! I work an eight hour shift in the preOp department right now and have really had to dive in! I got about one or two days of orientation and then I was on my own trying to fumble through paper work and finding supplies. I just pushed through and they kept taking my patients back so I figured I was doing something right. The people there are really nice and have been so welcoming and helpful since I have so little experience. Travis woke up early with me the first morning and made me a nice big breakfast so I could have a perfect start to my day.
My first week has been quite an eye opener. Because the hospital is so small, even smaller than the last "small" hospital, as a nurse you are expected to do EVERYTHING! We also do all the colonoscopy and eye surgeries. I have done a few of my "firsts" this week. One that I will never forget was the enema from hell! Poor woman couldn't hold in the fluids in so it turned into brown squirt gun coming right at me. It will be a first I will always remember. Due to that I try to avoid giving an enema when I can, but still have had to assist with a few.

2 comments:

  1. This might fit into the "too much information" catagory, but since I am married to a nurse I have heard similar stories!
    Our "small" hospital was Manhattan, Kansas with all the stuff an university brings coupled with the rural nature of that area. i am sure that Leesville will not disappoint you in providing stories.
    Keith and Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously we HAVE to meet up sometime! Not knowing who you are when we live in the same town is crazy! So what do you think?

    ReplyDelete