Background

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Teriffic Tuesday!


Today was a great day for Travis and I. Travis had his first real day of work to day...I mean 9-5, plus 0630 physical training! He is pretty tired though, but glad to have something to do! My day was very busy! It was Shop for a Hospital Day. I don't have my Louisiana license yet so today my plan was just to look at the hospital on base and in the Leesville community to get a feel of what they are like and the potential job opportunities. My first pick, the hospital on base. If you have read my blog you will know Travis and I have had some scary and odd encounters with what I like to call the "locals." Therefore I was really hoping that working on base would be the place for me so I could avoid close calls that I have had in the past. I got all ready (which has only been the third time in two weeks...so a big deal) and hit the road to visit the hospital on base. I walked in and asked the front desk where human resources was....both of the privates didn't know and apologized but luckily there was a woman who told me it was down the road. No problem I thought and I got in my car for a short drive. I entered the building and spoke to a woman who told me what I had to do for my application to be accepted and that there were very few positions open. I thanked her for her help and told her I would return with a resume, but I just wanted to look around the hospital and get a feel for it. She directed me back to the hospital to talk to the director of nursing. Again a short drive to the hospital where the two privates didn't know where I was supposed to go, but found out and took me to the director. She asked me what I wanted. I explained my situation and how all I wanted was to walk through the hospital. She told me there was no jobs available and if I had less than one year experience it wouldn't be worth applying because the pay is so low. I thanked her and left a lot disheartened. I was really hoping this would be the hospital for me, now I had no choice but to wonder into the "locals" land.
Not expecting much different I headed to Byrd Regional Hospital. I found my way to the human resources office and was met with a smile and friendly hello. I explained that I just moved to the area and was waiting to receive my license and so I just wanted to look around the hospital and see what positions where open. She asked about my experience and I told her I did some work in the surgery unit at the last hospital, but it was short due to the move to Fort Polk. I didn't need to say much more her eyes got big and all the sudden she was calling the director of surgery and trying to arrange a meeting. Then she got up and got one of the CEOs of the hospital to come meet me and say hello. Before I knew it I was in the other room with a another woman who was asking me about my experience and just chit chatting. Five minutes later the director of surgery was there and was sitting with me asking me questions about myself and my nursing. She explained the job and I was very excited since it was my dream job!!! It was one year of training in pre/postOp and OR nursing. She gave me a tour of the facilities and to my shock she introduced me as the new nurse on board. I didn't know I had officially accepted the job, but I was glad too!!! Everyone I met was very friendly and told me I would love working there! I was so excited!!! The director told me just to send in my application and then I could start once my Louisiana license came in. We shook hands and I left a little confused but SO excited. I texted Travis, "I got a job, I just need to send in my application."
I know I can't be to proud of myself because I am sure they would have taken any warm body, but I couldn't believe that I had gotten my dream job, without a resume or application!


Another exciting thing today was that we got our wedding pictures!!!! Finally they are hanging up on our walls to make it official. It is funny how being married a year you would think you would know each other, but Travis proved me wrong on that! Travis today came home excited and told me that I should have gotten an email form FRG "Family Readiness Group." While Travis was cooking dinner I checked my email. Everything looked great except I noticed my name was spelled "Katherine." Very wrong!! Darnet I thought they spelled my name wrong. I yelled at Travis in the kitchen, "They spelled my name K-a-t-h-e-r-i-n-e" he responded "K-a-t-h-r-y-n-e." I corrected him again and said what it was supposed to be. Then Travis goes, "Oh yeah I forgot how to spell your name today. The lady couldn't believe it, but I always call you Katie. I tried to go back and fix it, but I guess it didn't work." I felt mixed feelings should I be mad? laugh? cry? My husband doesn't know how to spell my name? I was speechless. Where had he been this last year? Was there there when we signed our marriage license with our names on it? Or all the paperwork to have a joint account at the bank? Yes....yes he had been there! How do you really get mad at such a dumb act...so I let him sit in the silence. Pretty soon he was apologizing and trying to explain his situation. Travis truly is the smartest dumb person that I know and love.

4 comments:

  1. Alright I am going to have to read your blog in private now! I am sitting here reading this while my students are taking there final and I can't stop laughing while reading the part of Travis forgetting how to spell your name. That is so Travis but still so funny!! My kids keep looking up at me and smiling because I can't stop laughing. Tell Travis that if you keep this up you are going to have ALOT of people reading your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Ft. Polk Hospital story reminds me of when my newly-wed wife tried to find a nursing job at Ft Riley. Between the civilian human resource folks and the Army head of nursing she could never get a straight answer. One claimed they needed nurses and the other said there were no openings! To top it off, she had to apply through a centralized nursing management office in Maryland. As you may guess she ended up going off post and being welcomed to the local hospital ER with open arms!
    Regarding name spellings, that is why I married a Jennifer! Again, welcome to the Army and Ft. Polk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Lauren.....Time for a new update guys. Terrific Tuesday was now like two weeks ago. Time for Terrific Monday! Or Terrific Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie!!! Your Blog is SO funny!! I literally crack up at every post - your stories are hilarious! Yeah, I wanted to say that I totally get you! Its definitely a guy thing. I will literally s-p-e-l-l something out for Drigo three times and he still doesn't get it right. The thing is, he is REALLY intelligent! (especially when it comes to business or numbers) so..i have no idea what doesn't click. Every time i tell him something really important - I feel like I am talking to a 4 year old. Im so worried hes not going to remember. I swear he prepares me for children...
    love it! ~Mercedes

    ReplyDelete